Welcome to Router Table Reviews. I created this blog to help you find the router table that is best for you. There are quite a few things that determine which router table you should purchase. For instance, your skill level, how much space you have, how often you will use it, do you want it to be portable or stationary, how precise of a fence do you need, overall ease of use and of course, how much does it cost and where is the best place to buy.
If you already know which table you would like, I have found the best prices are consistently at Amazon and in almost all cases, include free shipping.
A Definitive Guide for Discovering the Best Router Table
One of the major fallacies associated with woodworking is that it only involves cutting of long sheets of wood into geometrical shapes of even thickness. This may be true, but a lot of the fine edges, designs, inlay work, dadoes and joints that one sees in fine pieces of furniture and home improvement goods cannot be obtained by simply chopping pieces of wood into smaller ones. What you are actually looking at is, in fact, the result of careful operation of some of the best router tables in the market. Not to be confused with routing tables (which deal with electronics), router tables are similar to miter saws in operation insofar as they too require the user to run a piece of wood along a line for the router to cut.
However, instead of a saw, the unit contains a “router” with a revolving bit that chops away at the edge of the wood, giving it the fine shapes that you see in a range of finished products. Though routers can be used as free-hand tools as well, their operation is heavily dependent on stability and hence router tables are imperative to achieving a good cut. The utility of router tables goes far beyond mere finishing and décor, extending to a range of operations vital to creation of doors, tables, boxes and virtually any action that requires creation of special edges.
Further, it is often easier to operate compared to other woodcutting products and for this reason, it is the primary choice of many an aspiring woodcutter. If you are one such ambitious woodworker, you’re in luck because in the following sections, we’ll teach you virtually everything you need to know to buy, operate and maintain a router table with complete satisfaction.
Best Router Table Reviews of 2016
Each of us has his own list of preferences and therefore, our own conceptions of how to go about finding the best router table within our budget. That said, there is a always a bare minimum that each table has to adhere to in order to be a value for money proposition and equally importantly, to ensure that cutting wood is not a life or limb threatening operation. So, you must check features of these router tables for sure.
Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table Review
Since the Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table is a benchtop unit, user assembly is limited to the tabletop itself, the fence and some accessories. Most users found the assembly process to be simple enough. However, a few noted that the user manual did not specify the names and nature of different bolts clearly and this forced them to figure out the different bolt types by themselves. At the same time, they conceded that the specialized nature of the bolts made such differentiation a simple process and once this hurdle had been crossed, the manual’s large images and sufficient instructions made assembly a comfortable and quick task.
- Benchtop router table is compatible with most routers
- Includes 2 adjustable featherboards, dust collection port, dual outlet switch and 6-foot power cord
- Aluminum fence with MDF face plates and aluminum router mounting plate
- Includes mounting hardware for a variety of routers
- Work surface measures 27-inches by 18-inches
KREG PRS3400 PRECISION ROUTER TABLE SET UP BARS, SET OF 7
Set Up Bars Come In A Portable Case With 1/8″, 3/16″, 1/4″, 5/16″, 3/8″, 7/16″ & 1/2″ Bars And Can Be Used To Make Adjustments To Router Tables, Shapers And Table Saws. The Step On The Top Edge Of Each Bar Acts As A Gauge To Test The Depth Of Your Completed Cuts, While The Stop On The End Of Each Bar Is Used To Test The Fence Depth Of The Table Saw Blade Or Router Bit. Bars Are Made From A Soft Aluminum Which Is Designed To Prevent Damage To Your Router Bit Or Saw Blade If Contact Is Made During Setup.
- Set Up Bars come in a portable case with 1/8″, 3/16″, 1/4″, 5/16″, 3/8″, 7/16″ & 1/2″ bars
- The step on the top edge of each bar acts as a gauge to test the depth of your completed cuts
- Bars are made from a soft aluminum which is designed to prevent damage to your router bit or saw blade if contact is made during setup
- Unique design straddles the Router Bit or saw blade to allow for more precise height adjustment
- Step on the top edge of each setup bar acts as a gauge to test the depth of your completed cuts
- Step on the end of each setup bar used to test the fence depth of a table saw blade or Router Bit
- Made from a soft aluminum designed to prevent damage to your Router Bit or saw blade if contact is made during setup
BOSCH RA1171 CABINET STYLE ROUTER TABLE
The Bosch RA1171 Cabinet-Style Router Table provides a premium work surface for woodworking and routing. Designed to fit a variety of routers and able to mount on any workbench, this router table is a versatile piece of equipment that will serve as an indispensable part of any woodworking shop. And with its cabinet-style construction, it offers better dust collection and noise reduction for a more efficient work environment.
- Tall Aluminum Fence with Adjustable MDF Face Plates 4-7/8″ x 25-1/8″ supports taller work pieces and outfeed can be offset for jointing
- Rigid Aluminum Router Mounting Plate Stays flat and precise for accuracy and pre-drilled for a variety of routers
- Accessory slot accepts featherboard and 3/4-inch optional accessories such as miter gauge
- 2 Dust collection ports for standard 2-1/2-inch vacuum hoses
- Dual Outlet Switch with 6-foot power cord – lock helps prevent unauthorized use
You may spend an entire day cutting pieces of wood but if the edges are not perfect, they would be of little use in woodworking. Realizing this, we have endeavoured to provide you with as much information on router tables as could be fitted into a guide. We realize however that no amount of information can ever cover each and every cutting scenario in the country. Hence, while we would encourage you to carefully study the list of ideas and instructions we have provided here, we would also ask you to carefully study your environs.
Are you operating near a school and need to ensure a quiet cut ? Or is your cutting area cramped ? Such considerations would go a long way in deciding whether one or more of the features and instructions provided above are partially or completely inapplicable to your scenario, and to what extent you need to modify your procedure to obtain the perfect cut. However, we do believe that when our guide is read in conjunction with the best router table reviews, it can provide enough information for you to purchase and start working on your woodworking projects. Once you make this start, of course, you are free to improvise as you see fit and by doing so, constantly improve your ability to achieve the perfect cut every time.